The opposition UPND has asked the Ndola High Court to stay the decision by the Electoral Commission of Zambia (ECZ) to ban campaign rallies as the decision is illegal ahead of the August 12 general elections.
This is the same political party that had asked the government to put the country on a complete lockdown due to the outbreak of the COVID-19.
Last year in March, UPND leader Hakainde Hichilema said Zambia needed a complete lockdown to halt any new infections of the deadly COVID-19 virus.
But UPND Secretary General Batuke Imenda in his submission, has asked the court to quash the decision by ECZ to ban the campaign rallies.
This is according to a petition filed in the courts by the opposition political party against ECZ and the Attorney General.
‘It is a notorious fact that public schools, churches and bars are still very much open with members of the public mingling with each other at various gatherings such as funerals subject to observing the COVID 19 guildlines published by the relevant authorities,” he said
Last week, ECZ suspended the holding of political rallies to curb the spread of COVID-19, a move which has received well by several political parties and stakeholders except the UPND.